We are ideally located only 1.3 miles from the soft sand South Village Beach. The picturesque beach is 2 miles long. We are a mere 10-minute walk away from the historic 1801 Captain Baker House & Barn. We are only 0.2 miles from Swan River, a sought after kayaking destination and a short 1.6 miles from Bass River Park & Bridge, an idea spot for fishing.
Several historical sites are within close proximity: Congregational Church of South Dennis (0.7 miles), Liberty Hall (1.6 miles), Bass River Lighthouse (1.7 miles) and Indian Lands Conservation Area (1.8 miles). We are also conveniently located close to several shops and highly rated restaurants.
19th century furnishings, textiles, paintings are on display in the Captain Theophilus Baker House Museum. The Barn Museum contains a General Store, a salt works model, a carriage that raced at Riverside Trotting Park, farming tools & equipment from the 1800’s. Of special interest is the Cranberry exhibit which tells the story of cranberry cultivation, an industry that began in Dennis in 1816.
The Museum is open from June 25 to September 12 on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 1 to 4 p.m. There is no admission fee. Located only a 10 minute walk away from the Inn.
This is a large beach with an abundance of shells. The beach has calm waters and small waves. It is an ideal spot for families with young children. The expansive beach provides plenty of room for beach games.
Located at a distance of 1.3 miles, the beach is a 4-minute drive from the hotel. Non resident daily parking stickers cost $25 for weekdays and $30 on weekends and public holidays. Weekly passes cost $90. Stickers can be purchased at Town Hall (685 Route 134, South Dennis) or beach location.
It was among the last of 30 lighthouses erected beginning in 1797 on Cape Cod and the islands. Built in 1855 atop a large keeper's house. The lighthouse replaced a lantern hung in the attic window of a private residence. The light was shut down in 1880, re-activated in 1881 and continued until 1914. Acquired as a private residence, the keeper's house was expanded in 1933 and later as the Lighthouse Inn.
Located at a distance of 1.7 miles, the lighthouse is a short 5-minute drive from the Inn.
Also known as "Sea Captain's Church.” Built in 1835 at a cost of $3,700 on the site of the 1795 Bass River Meeting House, this hill-top church contains the nation's oldest working organ, a Sandwich glass chandelier circa 1835, box pews and tablets listing 106 sea Captains who were church members. Edwin Blashfield, a Dennis resident and celebrated as one of Americas greatest mural artists painted the Chancel of the church.
Located at a distance of 0.7 miles, the church is a short 2-minute drive from the Inn.
It began as a tourist observatory in 1874. Made of wood, it was destroyed in a gale two years later. Rebuilt again of wood, it burned in 1900. The present cobblestone tower opened in 1901. The 30 foot high tower is located atop the highest hill in the mid-Cape.
Located at a distance of 5.8 miles, the tower is a mere 12-minute drive from the Inn.
Architectural buffs will enjoy visiting the library. The Gothic style former 19th century residence, cobbler shop, and the home of a poetess, has been for many years one of the town's four little libraries. Probably moved to its current site in 1856 from a Yarmouth church campground, it was first owned by John Rose, the first Portuguese resident of the town. It became the South Dennis Free Public Library in 1918.
The library is open Monday to Wednesday from 10 am to 4 pm and on Saturdays from 10 am to 12 pm. Located at a distance of 1.4 miles, the library is a short 4-minute drive from the Inn.
Another favorite of fans of architecture. Liberty Hall stands at the center of one of the Commonwealth's "most perfectly preserved 19th century crossroads," in the center of the South Dennis Historic District. It was moved to this site in 1844 by teams of oxen. Over time it has been a stage coach stop, dry goods and provisions store, millinery outlet, furniture store, post office, supper hall, and a place for lectures, dances, plays and minstrel shows. It's colorful role as a village social center continues.
Located at a distance of 1.5 miles, Liberty Hall is a short 5-minute drive from the Inn.
A favorite of hikers due to its trails and rich history. The Indian Lands, on 25 acres of woodland and marshes, today offers visitors access to a place where the Nobscusset Indians passed the winter months in comfortable wigwams, on the shores of Bass River, which offered shelter from the north winds, good water from springs, and plentiful fish and shellfish. They continued to reside here as late as 1778. This area has a dirt road and in the late spring leads hikers through the path of hundreds of endangered Lady's Slipper Orchids.
Located at a distance of 1.8 miles, the Indian Lands are a short 4-minute drive from the Inn.
Popular with cyclists, this is a paved bikeway that runs 25 miles from South Dennis to Wellfleet. A former railroad bed, the terrain is relatively flat with some minor grades in certain sections in the Lower / Outer Cape areas, specifically Orleans and Wellfleet. There are dirt sides for horseback riding, hikers, and dog walkers. It easily offers the greatest variety in scenery and natural landscapes of all the regional bike paths.
Located at a distance of 1.8 miles, the Rail Trail is a short 4-minute drive from the Inn.
This is the longest running professional summer theater in the country. First opened in 1927 in a converted church that remains its home today, the Playhouse is the centerpiece of the Cape Cod Center for the Arts. The first play starred Basil Rathbone. Jane Fonda was given a small role in a play starring her father, Henry Fonda. Many actors such as Bette Davis, Gregory Peck, Humphrey Bogart, Robert Montgomery, and Shirley Booth made their early professional appearances at The Playhouse before going on to win Academy Awards.
Located at a distance of 6.1 miles, the Playhouse is a 13-minute drive from the Inn.
Founded in 1930 the building’s façade was designed by prominent New York architect Alfred Easton Poor and modeled after the Congregational Church in Centerville, Mass. The auditorium is designed in the style of Art Deco and includes 317 individual arm chairs of black lacquer and tangerine suede produced by the Frankl Galleries in New York. The auditorium ceiling is adorned with a 6,400 sq. ft. mural designed by American painter, printer and illustrator Rockwell Kent, depicting a vision of the heavens.
Located at a distance of 6.0 miles, the Cinema is a 13-minute drive from the Inn.
Perfect for a family visit. The saltbox home was the residence of the first minister of the Congregational Church of the East Precinct in Yarmouth and the man for whom the town of Dennis is named. Visitors are greeted by docents in period costume. Artifacts of early Dennis life, children’s room, spinning and weaving exhibit, gardens and Dennis maritime wing. A circa 1745 single room schoolhouse may also be visited on its grounds. One side of the schoolhouse is furnished with 1700's furniture and the other side with 1800's furniture.
Located at a distance of 6.4 miles, the Museum is a 15-minute drive from the Inn.